How to Make a Slideshow in Windows
A video slideshow is one of the best ways to share a collection of photos engagingly. Knowing how to make a slideshow on Windows 10 is a useful skill to bring presentations to life with a creative touch.
Back in the day, the most common Windows slideshow maker used to be the native Movie Maker. However, it was discontinued in 2017. (Wikipedia)
With a variety of options, Windows users, especially those not tech-savvy, may face difficulty when choosing a reliable tool. To make it easier, we compiled a list of top 3 online slideshow makers and 3 desktop programs.
With the right tools and techniques, you can easily create beautiful and professional-looking slideshows in no time.
Selection process for slideshow creators
To pick the best video slideshow apps for Windows, we had to carefully choose and test many programs and services.
We started by researching different options and reading reviews from other users. Then, we selected 6 that seemed promising and explored their functionality.
We paid close attention to features like:
- Formats supported;
- Customization options;
- User experience;
- The overall quality of the final product.
Based on that, below you will find two lists of photo slideshow makers - online and offline products - that are suitable to be used on Windows 10 and 11.
Best slideshow software for Windows
After testing each program thoroughly, we compared our results and chose the best desktop slideshow maker and the runners-up.
|Application||Customization options||Price||Output formats||Overall performance|
|Icecream Slideshow Maker||
Add music, set transitions, change resolution, blur background, apply various video effects
Free, Pro from $19.95
WebM, MOV, AVI, MP4
Add music, text, transitions, change quality, use templates, apply various video effects
Method 1. Icecream Slideshow Maker
Icecream Slideshow Maker is definitely one of the best free slideshow makers available on the web. Users can create stunning video presentations of their vacation photos or create promotional slideshows for work.
Here is how to employ it as your slideshow creator:
- Download slideshow maker for Windows and go through the setup. Launch the program to proceed with the photo slideshow creation.
- Click the "Add Photo" button to add pictures to the program one by one, or press "Add Folder" to load all images. With the drag-and-drop mechanism you can simplify the image addition process. Set "Time" for each slide.
- Add sounds to construct a playlist for the slideshow either by using the "Add Audio" button or by simply dragging and dropping them. The files added can be reordered. You can loop the background audio ("Loop audio"), set offset ("Audio offset"), and fade ("Audio fade").
- Click "Preview" to check if the images and audio are set as intended.
- Hit "Create" to make a slideshow on Windows 10 or Windows 11. The progress bar will give you information on the status – the time remaining and the time elapsed.
The order of images can be changed: drag them or highlight an image and use the UP/DOWN arrow buttons. You can apply the "Shuffle photos" button to randomize the order. Sorting files by their names is also available.
When the creation process is finished, the slideshow-making software will open a pop-up notification offering you the option to open the output folder. Now, you can upload the video to YouTube, Google Drive, or Dropbox; or even burn the file to CD or DVD.
- This slide maker has a mechanism to set the duration time in seconds for each slide or all the pictures at once.
- The file name and the output video format can both be changed.
- The chosen audio for background music can be in MP3, M4A or WAV format.
- Supports Windows 10/11, 8.1, and earlier versions.
- A wide range of customization tools: adjust font, color, position, and add animations.
- Slideshow creator is free of charge and has no watermark.
Method 2. Microsoft Clipchamp
Making a slideshow on Windows 10 or 11 with Clipchamp can be both enjoyable and fulfilling. It's easy to learn and offers some customization options. Moreover, this free Windows slideshow maker has the potential to turn a collection of ordinary photos into something extraordinary.
Here's how to create a slideshow with this built-in tool:
- Open Microsoft Clipchamp.
- Click on the "Create a video" button.
- Select "Import Media". Add all the files for the photo slideshow to the timeline.
- Choose the needed settings and filters. When all changes are done click "Export".
- You can set the duration, apply background music, add text to your slides, and utilize 3D effects.
- The result can be saved as a video file, so you can easily share it.
- Perfect for quick slideshow creation.
- Not suitable for complex edits or advanced techniques.
- Can't save images in custom formats or sizes.
- Doesn't offer support for third-party plugins.
Method 3. File Explorer
Did you know you could even make a slideshow on Windows without a program? File Explorer can turn a set of images into a video film. If you need to share your project immediately, creating a slideshow with this tool is a breeze and enjoyable.
See below how to utilize this widget building a slide presentation:
- Launch File Explorer and go to the folder containing the photos you want in your slideshow.
- Select all the images you wish to include by clicking them while holding down the CTRL key.
- Click on picture tools and choose "Start Slideshow" from the context menu that appears.
- A new window will appear with your project. Now, you can gather the family and present your photo slideshow to them.
- To finish displaying the slideshow, click "Exit".
- You don't need any special tools or knowledge of coding to create a slideshow.
- You get to choose what pictures you want to add to the slideshow, as well as the order in which they appear.
- No customization features or ability to make a slideshow with music.
- No timeline feature for creating complex animations.
- No ability to add captions or titles to slides.
- Cannot export projects as video files.
Best online slideshow makers for Windows
Now that you've explored desktop slideshow software, see the top 3 slideshow websites to create your next photo compilation.
|Platform||Customization options||Price||Output formats||Overall performance|
Insert audio, video, tables, diagrams, and word art. Adjust layout, transitions, and background
PDF, PPTX, JPEG, PNG, ODP
Use templates, add elements, and text, change layouts, transitions, styles, and insert tables
Free, Pro $119.99/year
PDF, PPTX, MP4, PNG, JPEG
Add video, pictures, and GIF, insert audio, adjust orientation and slides duration
Free, Pro from $72/year
MP4, 3G2, 3GP, AVI, ASF, F4V, FLV, M2TS, M2V
Option 1. Google Slides
In case you do not want to install a new app on your computer, you can take advantage of online slideshow makers. One of the best and most accessible is Google Slides. It is an excellent method fantastic opportunity to make a slideshow presentation without the need for an extra program.
Here's the instruction on how you can get started:
- Log in to your Google account and proceed to Google Slides to open the slideshow website.
- Choose the template you want to use for your presentation or press "Blank" to start from scratch.
- Include images, text, shapes, and other components in your presentation.
- You can change the background, layout, and theme and choose transitions.
- Once you're done editing, click on the "File" menu at the top and select "Download" to save your presentation in any compatible file format. In addition, you can share the presentation, publish it on the Web, or send it by e-mail.
- You can collaborate with other people while creating a slideshow.
- You can access the presentation from any device, including mobile devices.
- There are plenty of features available, including themes, transitions, and animations.
- If you need more complex features, there may be better options for you.
- There is no way to save all your slides as an image file, you have to do it one at a time.
- The collaboration feature can be unreliable at times.
- The platform can be slow or laggy when dealing with large presentations or multiple users editing at once.
- Not all features are available on mobile devices, so you may not be able to access all of the features you need while on the go.
Option 2. Canva
Canva is a powerful slideshow website for creating high-quality presentations and films out of photos. With its easy-to-use interface, you can create professional-looking presentations in no time. Moreover, it offers stock elements and templates for various occasions.
Here's how to get started using this free online slideshow maker:
- Sign up for an account with Canva if you don't already have one.
- Choose the "Presentation" option from the main menu.
- Select a template from the library of templates or start with a blank canvas. Import photos and audio for your video with the "Upload" option on the left-side panel.
- Start creating a slideshow by adding text, images, shapes, and other elements
- Adjust the fonts, colors, and design elements to create an eye-catching presentation.
- Publish your finished slideshow directly from the service or export it as an image or create a PDF document.
- Share your presentation with friends and colleagues via email or social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
- Has a user-friendly interface that facilitates the quick creation of slideshows.
- There are hundreds of professionally designed templates, for example, for making a wedding slideshow presentation.
- Supports a variety of file types, including JPG, PNG, and PDF, so users can export their slideshows to any platform they wish.
- Some templates and stock images are only available with the Pro account.
- Doesn't have a customer support team or online forum for help with technical issues.
Option 3. Clideo
Clideo is a multi-purpose website that offers several web-based tools, including the online slideshow maker. The simple interface will help you quickly generate a video out of your photos to share with family, and friends, or even use it for work purposes.
See below the detailed instructions on how to use this video slideshow maker:
- Go to the website. Start uploading your images with the "Choose files" button or add them directly from your Google Drive, Google Photos, or Dropbox.
- In the new window, begin customizing your slideshow. You change the "Crop options", "Image duration", "Add audio" or more images/videos.
- Under the timeline, you will see the output file's duration and resolution. You can also change the resulting video format.
- When you are done editing, hit "Export" and wait for the processing to finish.
- Now, you can "Download" your video, or upload it directly to your cloud storage.
- The web-based tool deletes all the input files right after making a slideshow.
- Various file types can be added - images, videos, GIFs, and audio for the background sound
- In the free version, each uploaded file can be up to 500 MB.
- The slideshow creator is compatible with all the popular formats like JPEG, TIFF, PNG, MP4, AVI, DVD, GIF, MP3, etc.
- Limited customization options and no transitions are available.
- If you wish to create a slideshow for free, there will be a watermark on your final video.
- The free accounts only allow store projects for 14 days, after which they are deleted.
- What type of files can I use in Windows slideshow maker?
- You can use JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, and TIFF files for your presentation on Windows 10.
- How can I incorporate music into my slideshow?
- To add background sound to your video, make sure you pick a slideshow maker with a music-implementing feature. Not all software comes with such ability.
- How to change the duration of each slide?
- Usually, a slideshow maker will allow you to adjust the slides' duration either by using one of its instruments on the toolbar or by customizing the settings of each slide individually.
- How can I adjust the transition between slides?
- Some slideshow websites and programs offer to pick a transition from the library, while others have a standard slide switch that is automatically applied.
- Can I preview my slideshow before saving or sharing it?
- Usually, you can preview your slideshow by clicking the "Play" button (or something similar) under the preview window.
Learning how to make a slideshow on Windows 10 is not a complicated task. With a little practice, you will be able to create memorable slideshows.
Some more helpful tips for you as you build your presentation:
- Plan ahead. In advance of making a video slideshow on Windows 10, decide on the type of presentation you desire to create. Confirm you have all the necessary visuals and information.
- Gather your materials. Gather all the items to be included in the slideshow such as images, videos, text, etc.
- Start building. Create a new project in your chosen slideshow maker and begin adding your stuff to it - images, text, graphics, etc.
- Organize the slides. Arrange the slides in a logical order and use transitions between each one to make them look professional and attractive.
- Insert audio/video. If you want to add audio or video clips, take appropriate video formats and ensure they are optimized for web playback.
- Search for mistakes. Before submitting the slideshow, double-check photo slides for any typos or other errors that could distract your viewers.
- Keep it brief. Remember that less is more - try to keep your demonstration concise by focusing on key points and avoiding unnecessary details.
- Choose an appropriate background. Select a background that will complement the content. Plain backgrounds work best as they remain in focus.
- Practice. Make sure you practice presenting previous to delivering the slideshow in front of an audience. This will help ensure that everything goes smoothly during the presentation!
Utilizing a free slideshow maker for Windows 10 and 11 can help you master presentation-building skills. In this article, we described 6 of the best free slideshow makers. Some of them are best for simple tasks, while others offer advanced customization options.
We hope that now you can pick a slideshow software or service you feel confident in using. Go ahead and enter the creative world of slideshow making!