How to Record a Teams Meeting: 6 Ways
Online meetings, conferences, and webinars have become commonplace in remote work and study formats. Microsoft Teams is among the most popular.
Sometimes, when hosting or attending a meeting, there may be a need to record it. This article offers 6 ways how to record meetings on Teams for later review.
How we picked the apps to record Teams meeting
To write this article, we tested six screen recording tools available on the market to record a Teams meeting. We also tested the built-in screen recording tool in Microsoft Teams.
Our main criteria included:
- The ease of use;
- Output formats;
- Additional features such as editing tools, hotkeys, and scheduling options.
We recorded various types of meetings, including webinars, lectures, and conferences, to ensure that our instructions work for a variety of scenarios.
Finally, we analyzed the pros and cons of each method to provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to record Teams meetings on your PC.
|Application||OS||Output format||Additional features||Our rating|
|Icecream Screen Recorder||
MP4, WebM, MOV, AVI
Edit, annotate recordings
Record audio only
Share recordings by URL
No additional functionality
Choice of the recording area
MKV, MP4, MOV, FLV, AVI
Use filters and transitions
|Xbox Game Bar||
MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, FLV
Share recordings directly to the web
Method 1. Icecream Screen Recorder
To record a conversation or a concert in good quality, you will need to get a screen recording software to your PC. Such a tool will equip you with the capability to screen capture the entire meeting. More to that, it will record all activities on your display if needed.
Using Icecream Screen Recorder, you will not only get a good recording of a Teams meeting with sound but also save all your manipulations including mouse cursor movements and hotkeys used.
Below is the instruction on how to record the Teams meeting in a few simple steps:
- Download the free screen recorder to your computer.
- Launch your Microsoft Teams meeting in a browser or a desktop app.
- In the screen recording app, hover the mouse over the "Capture video" button. Click "Full screen" to record a Teams meeting in full-screen mode. Otherwise, hit "Custom area" to manually select the recording space.
- Press the "Rec" button on the toolbar to start the Teams meeting recording. After a 3-second countdown, the actual screen capture will begin.
- While recording a Teams meeting, you can use the F7 hotkey to pause and resume video capture.
- After exiting the Microsoft Teams meeting or as soon as it is finished, press the F8 hotkey or the "Stop" button on the recording panel. The screen recording software prompts you to specify the file name. Simple editing of the video is also available at this stage along with the feature to upload Teams recording by URL.
Note that the free version of the software offers only 5 minutes of screen recording. Therefore, if you plan a long webinar, conference, or lesson/class, you need to upgrade the screen recorder to the PRO version.
- After you stop the Microsoft Teams recording, the program will offer you to use a built-in video editor. You can change the filename and format, resolution, speed, mute, and trim video in it.
- As your Teams meeting recording is in progress, you can use the "Draw" panel to highlight important parts, make notes, add text, point out significant segments, etc.
- If you plan to broadcast your desktop to a meeting, it is better to hide the toolbar of the screen recorder. Enable this option in the "Video" tab of the "Settings" panel of the app.
- Zoom in and out using the F9 and F10 hotkeys or use the relevant buttons on the toolbar.
- Enable and disable audio and microphone recording if needed.
- Disable mouse movement recording so as not to show your cursor in the final video.
- You may even schedule screen recording at a specific time.
- Cloud integration.
- Feature-rich screen recorder for Windows.
- Impressive number of settings and options, including a feature to take a screenshot.
- User-friendly and simple interface.
- Modern design with various color schemes.
- Built-in video editor.
Method 2. Microsoft Teams
With limited features, this meeting program itself allows for screen capture of the video conference. If you want a quick solution to record a Teams meeting without additional instruments and settings available, this may be something you can try.
However, before recording a Teams meeting with this method, you need to know a few rules that Microsoft has defined:
- Not all users have the right to record meetings. Only the administrators are authorized.
- The recording time cannot exceed 4 hours.
- If the built-in screen recording tool is turned on, all participants will be informed with a relevant message.
- To make a video copy of a Teams meeting recording, you must purchase one of the paid plans.
If your plan meets the terms and your actions will violate them, follow the steps on how to record on Microsoft Teams outlined below:
- Launch the Microsoft Teams desktop application.
- Left-click the "More actions" icon in the app.
- Select "Start recording" from the list.
- All the participants will see a notification that the screen capture is on.
- You can stop the screen recording in two ways: manually or by waiting until the end of the meeting. To manually end the recording, go to "Additional actions" as described previously, and press "Stop recording".
Once you finish the Teams meeting recording, there is also one more thing to consider. The saved copy of the recording can only be viewed by the administrator. Other users can access it online via a link sent by the admin.
- This Teams capture method doesn't require installation of an additional screen recording app.
- All participants know that you record the Teams meeting;
- One of the paid plans is required for long videos;
- Annotations along with notes and whiteboard are not recorded;
- Only 4 people's streams can be recorded in the screen capture;
- The recording of a Teams meeting is only available to the administrator for a limited period.
Method 3. QuickTime Player (macOS only)
QuickTime is a default media player that comes pre-installed on macOS devices. It has a built-in screen recording ability that you can use to capture anything on your display.
Below is how to record a meeting in Teams with a screen recorder on Mac:
- Launch media player from the Launchpad.
- Open the "File" menu and click "New Screen Recording".
- A small window will appear with a few options for recording your screen. Select Microsoft Teams for recording and press the "Record" button.
- To stop the screen capture, locate and click the icon with a square inside in the top right corner of the display.
- Your Teams meeting recording will be stored on the desktop.
The output format of the recording of a Teams meeting will be MOV. In case you prefer to work with a video in a different format, you will need to convert the recording.
- Pre-installed application with a free screen recorder for Mac.
- No additional software needs to play the Teams meeting recording.
- Customizable screen capture area.
- The features are fairly basic compared to other screen recording applications.
- If you want to add annotations or draw on your recordings, you will need to use an external application.
- When recording a Teams meeting, files can only be exported in the MOV format.
Method 4. OBS Studio
It can be used to record Teams meetings, with its intuitive interface allowing you to easily set up the stream and quickly start recording.
Here is a step-by-step guide to help you get started.
- Download and install the screen recorder on your computer.
- Open the software and go to the "Settings" tab.
- Under "Settings", select "Output" and choose your preferred format, such as MP4 or MKV.
- Select the "Video" tab and then choose your resolution size and frame rate.
- Go back to the "Settings" tab and select "Audio" to set your audio source, such as microphone or speakers.
- Press the "Add Scene" (+) icon and select the option for "Window Capture".
- Click the "Start Recording" button to begin recording Microsoft Teams meeting.
- Tap the "Stop Recording" button.
- Allows you to stream your recordings live to viewers on YouTube, Twitch, or Facebook Live.
- Produces high-quality videos that capture every detail of the meeting.
- Has powerful features for post-processing Microsoft Teams recording. You can edit them in real-time, or export them into various formats.
- The program requires some technical know-how to fully maximize its capabilities.
- Users report that in some cases the program crashes or simply stops recording content.
Method 5. Xbox Game Bar (Windows only)
The program known as Xbox Game Bar, embedded in Windows 10, facilitates users to capture their screen. It's a great way to record important meetings or gameplay, and it's simple to use.
Recording Teams meetings on Xbox offers a convenient way to record the screen and review key points from past conversations. Plus, it is a piece of cake to configure and employ! Follow these steps:
- Launch the Xbox app on your device. To do this press Windows + G keys.
- Once the meeting has begun, hit the "Start recording" button.
- When you are finished recording, tap the "Stop" button to save your video.
- Records system sounds along with external audio devices.
- The audio and video quality of recordings are excellent.
- It's not possible to record multiple windows simultaneously.
- You can't share the video with others directly from the app.
- Maximum recording time is two hours.
Method 6. EaseUS RecExperts
EaseUS RecExperts is an easy-to-use screen recorder that captures audio and video from your PC's camera and microphone. EaseUS RecExperts may not be the cheapest screen recorder on the market, but it does have a lot of impressive features.
Here's how to get started:
- Download and install EaseUS RecExperts on your PC.
- Launch the program and click "Settings" to configure the recording area, sound source, output format, and hotkeys for capturing screenshots or videos.
- Open Microsoft Teams meeting.
- Once you're in the meeting, click the "Record" button.
- To end the recording, click "Stop" in the same location or press your chosen hotkey.
- Automatically record screens at a set time.
- Provides features to enhance audio by removing background noise.
- Export recordings directly to Vimeo, Google Drive, YouTube, etc.
- Can only screen record up to 30 minutes per session.
- Doesn't offer any editing functionality.
- Is it possible to record a Teams meeting without anyone knowing?
- How do I ensure everyone's audio is recorded?
- Check that all in the meeting have their microphone on and unmuted. If you're using the Teams, it has an option to mute all participants at once as well.
- Can I record multiple people at once during a Teams meeting?
- Teams can accommodate multiple people on screen at one time and will be able to record all participants simultaneously as long as their sound is enabled and their microphones are working properly.
- Should I consider legal issues before recording a Teams meeting?
- Depending on where you live, there may be laws regarding audio or video that you should take into consideration before recording without permission from all parties involved. It's best to check local laws before proceeding with any recordings just to be safe.
- Can I edit my Teams recordings?
- Yes, various software enable you to edit videos after they are stored.
How to record a Teams meeting: Tips
- Plan ahead. Schedule the Teams meeting time and agenda in advance.
- Choose the right platform. Choose a screen recorder with capabilities that best meet your session needs.
- Test the recording. Examine the recording software before you start to verify it will capture everything you need.
- Ensure everyone is on board. Make sure people are aware that the meeting will be recorded and comfortable with it.
- Have a backup plan. Have a contingency plan in case the recording fails.
- Disable notifications. Disable notifications on members' devices to minimize distractions.
- Be mindful of audio levels. Speak clearly, and adjust microphone levels to have good sound quality.
- Check in with participants. Monitor participants before the meeting to check that sound is clear and colleagues can be hear each other.
- Label recordings. Label recordings with details such as date, time, and topic covered so they can easily be referenced later.
- Store recordings securely. Keep recordings safe on a cloud-based platform for easy access and future use.
In conclusion, recording a recording a Teams meeting is an important task that requires careful planning and preparation.
It is crucial to keep in mind that the quality of the recording will depend on numerous factors such as the type of audio equipment used, the environment in which it's recorded, and the specific needs of the team.
Overall, making a record of a Teams meeting is an indispensable essential task for any organization. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can ensure that your meetings are thoroughly documented and screen-captured.